Mayor Melvin Carter has asked David Martinez to drop out of the city council race “immediately” after the Ward 4 candidate’s recent behavior made headlines and stirred controversy.
Within a matter of three days earlier this month, Martinez was accused of domestic abuse, was ejected and banned from Target Field, and was arrested and banned from a St. Paul Public Library. And most recently, on Saturday, it appears Martinez posted a topless photo of his estranged wife on his campaign website in connection with being served a restraining order.
“David Martinez’s behavior is disturbing and has no place in our city. I wish the best to his family and our entire community as we heal from the harm his acts have caused. He should drop out of the city council race immediately,” Carter said in a statement released this weekend.
The semi-nude photograph posted on his campaign website appears to be connected to a restraining order Meredith Martinez sought against her husband in connection with an altercation July 4 at the couple’s Hewitt Avenue home in St. Paul.
David Martinez wrote in a blog post under the photo that he had been served with a restraining order demanding he stay away from his wife.
Meredith Martinez said Saturday she was aware of the picture and was working with her attorney.
St. Paul police spokesman Steve Linders said Sunday that a report about the semi-nude photo has been taken and that the matter was being investigated.
“There are steps that the investigators have to take in order for (the picture) to be taken down,” he said. “It’s a process, but our investigators are working on it.”
Carter wasn’t the only one calling for Martinez to step aside.
John Krenik, chair of the St. Paul Republican Party, called Martinez’s most recent actions “shocking.”
“I call upon Mr. Martinez to do the right thing and drop out of the race for St. Paul City Council and to get the professional mental health help that he needs before he hurts anyone else!” Krenik said in a press release.
According to the restraining order documents on his website, Meredith Martinez said during the July 4 altercation, her husband “put both of his hands around my neck and pushed me backwards into a shelving unit with his hands still gripped around my neck.”
On July 5, David Martinez was banned from the city’s public library system for a month following his arrest at the downtown George Latimer Central Library.
The next day, July 6, he was ejected from Target Field and banned from the ballpark for a year following a physical confrontation with security.
Meredith Martinez added that on July 11, he brought home several canisters of mace and a pellet gun, telling her that people were threatening him.
The couple work on the same floor of the Minnesota Department of Health building. He is ordered to stay away from her at work, according to the document.
Martinez did not respond to phone calls.
“My attorney has advised me not to say anything further,” he said on his website.