Minneapolis reaches settlement in fatal 2013 police shooting of burglary suspect

Minneapolis has reached a tentative wrongful death settlement with the family of a 22-year-old African American man who was shot and killed by police seven years ago, according to a public filing.

A settlement conference was held Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge David Schultz, said Michael Padden, the family’s attorney.

Undated courtesy photo of Terrance Frankilin. Franklin was killed Friday, May 10, 2013 during a struggle with Minneapolis police officers. (Courtesy photo)

He would not disclose terms of the agreement, which still requires approval by the Minneapolis City Council.

The death of Terrence Franklin in May 2013 sparked outrage as protesters and civil rights activists challenged the official version of events.

Police said Franklin was a burglary suspect, killed by pursuing officers in a South Minneapolis basement after he grabbed an MP5 gun and shot and injured two of them — a contention his attorneys vehemently denied. A grand jury said there was not enough evidence to prosecute officers.

However, Franklin’s father, Walter Louis Franklin II, said his son was shot after he had already surrendered. He had multiple gunshot woods.

At the time of his death, Franklin was serving five years’ probation for second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, and he had felony convictions for making terroristic threats and illegally possessing a firearm.

There was no immediate comment on the settlement from the Minneapolis Police Department.

On the afternoon of the shooting, a 24-year-old Minneapolis man died when his motorcycle collided with an SUV driven by an officer responding to the scene in the 2700 block of Bryant Avenue South.


Read The Rest at Twin Cities News Feed- (opens a new tab)





Pages

Archive